My friend Sorrell at the Chamomile Clinic has sent me something to share with you: her five herbs for happiness.
- Lemon balm – a truly balancing herb, whether you are anxious or depressed this herb can bring back a sense of balance into your life and it tastes delicious as a herbal tea.
- Valerian – a great sedative for anxiety and insomnia with no hangover effects
- Chamomile – a safe remedy for children, it soothes them to sleep, has a reputation for preventing night terrors and helps relieve grumpy tantrums
- Peppermint – traditionally known as a herb for grumpy old men (but if you hadn’t noticed women are grumpy sometimes too), it will work to settle an upset stomach too.
- Skullcap – for the overactive mind that can’t switch off, this herb can help those who don’t let go so easily from the troubles of the day, or just need a break from their own thoughts when times are tough.
I’ve tried 2, 3 and 4 myself and they definitely helped me calm down and sleep better. You can contact Sorrell by email for more tailored advice and recommendations, or find a herbalist near you via the NIMH.
And for those of you who don’t believe in all that herbal medicine gubbins, Sorrell has shared her Mindapples five-a-day with us too:
- taking at least 10 minutes a day to be alone and meditate, or practice self-hypnosis
- drinking some herbal tea
- enjoying a soak in a warm bath with my favourite essential oils
- tending to the garden
- smiling at a stranger everyday – spread the happiness
Posted by Andy Gibson